Week 8: Stereotype and the Ethics of Representation

For this week's assignment I read, "Andre the Giant," and "The Fifth Beatle."
The characters who are stereotyped/on the outside are always highlighted in a different light or drawn differently. I think that stereotyping can be a useful thing in comics, animation, and gaming narrative because it can help the reader better understand what is going on or who the character is. As long as the characters are stereotyped carefully and not in any way intended to offend a specific audience, it should be harmless. I have read and seen different stereotypes and I personally do not get affected by it. There are times I get a bit annoyed by how females are represented and how they are displayed but I understand that it is not something that should be taken personally. The people who demonstrate these stereotypes do not personally know everyone in the world and use their own world experience to portray different people. These people can be based off of one or two people who they know in real life, and these stereotypes are not used to represent an entire group of people all of the time. I think sometimes it is just to add to the story and characters.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Max Ernst - A Week of Kindness

Week 5: Body Talk: Eisner and Thompson

Week 12: Comics by Women