Week 13: Superheroes Reconsidered





1. The Killing Joke is a gripping comic that you definitely can become immersed in quickly. The use of strong action lines and images allows the reader to understand pretty clearly what is going on in the comic even if the words were not there to guide you. I really enjoy how they build up the characters and tell a story by using cut up flashbacks. I really enjoyed reading this comic.

2. I made connections while analyzing the personalities of batman and the Joker. Batman represents all of the positive thoughts in life, to keep moving forward when things go wrong, that good in the world exists. Joker on the other hand is the blown out negative depression and the easy way out. Things go wrong in life sometimes and I feel that the Joker represents that state of utter hopelessness and loss. Its a state that I think we all fear and as a character he makes us uncomfortable because he tries to reason out all of the bad that we are taught is wrong.

3. If I were to adapt this story into a different medium, it would probably be pen and ink. I would take inspiration from the way they used black and white with only red as a color, and use it on the entire comic and emphasize the most important thing on the slide. The downside to this is that I would not be able to differentiate the flashbacks in as well of a manner as they are doing already. I enjoy the graphic style and would want to keep that entirely.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Max Ernst - A Week of Kindness

Week 5: Body Talk: Eisner and Thompson

Week 12: Comics by Women